Saturday, May 12, 2012

Co-Sign

This is the first song on the mixtape. Here, Lecrae sets the stage for the whole set of songs. He begins by saying, "everybody tries to put him in a box". I think he is referring to both christians and secular people. Everyone has opinion on his music. Some christians love his music and the passion that he has and the sound theology contained in his songs(I'm in this category). Other christians cannot get past the fact that it is rap music and the whole hip hop culture, so his music falls on deaf ears(these people are probably ones that think hymns are the only form of music that isn't sinful). Lastly, you have secularists that like the way the music sounds, but they don't fully appreciate the message of the gospel that is being spit out through his music. Although I have defined three groups of people here, you could probably subdivide these groups into smaller groups, but for the sake of time, I will just leave it at three.

Lecrae is appealing to the last group of people mentioned, secularists. He is making the case that he understands hip hop and that "we got the same momma". He is establishing that he is going to bring it and that he can hold his own. They cannot ignore him, he can't be ignored.

Favorite Lines:

"I speak an ancient language,they don't understand me, it's called the truth, i break it down, they try to reprimand me"

"I am not insane, product of the culture, I'm what happens when Outcast meets the writings of Moses, the views are opposing, but they correlate, and me and Christ don't match, but we coordinate."

"I'm just a product of grace bringing hope to the hopeless"

No comments:

Post a Comment