Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spiritual Anorexia

I've had this thought pop up in my head several times over the last few months. It's the idea of spiritual anorexia. If you take one look at me, you'd see that I'm no stranger to food. In fact, I rarely skip a meal. Sure, there are times when I get very hungry, but those times are always followed by me eating to satisfy that hunger. There is a common analogy that I've heard a few times that compares reading God's word to spiritual food. The Bible is filled with things that build us up in the faith and nourish us. So as believers, we look at the Bible as a type of spiritual food. Some other "spiritual foods" for me would include listening to sermons, listening to christian music, and thinking about everything God has created for his glory. So why is it that I often forget to feed myself spiritual food, but rarely forget to feed myself burgers and fries? I can come up with many excuses, but none of them would describe the joy that I'm depriving myself of. You see, I've come to realize that spiritual food is so much more satisfying than the junk I eat everyday. If I wait until Sunday morning to eat, and that is my only meal for the week, I have missed out on so much and am completely empty. I believe reading books and listening to music that stir my affections for Christ throughout the week really fills me up! In fact, I crave more and get a bigger appetite. I don't want to suffer from spiritual anorexia. I also don't want to be "spiritually bulimic" and not apply what i learn from spiritual food. My prayer is that I would be completely satisfied. And the only thing that is truly satisfying is Christ!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is really good, Mark! And very encouraging! I never looked at it that way! It's so true what you said about when you do read books and listen to music that glorify God, it does make us crave for more... just like eating a good pizza or ice cream! haha Thanks for sharing!!! =)
    And I also wanted to say I love the name of your blog!!! Very cool!!! I look forward to reading more of your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete